Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Preparing for Christmas

I love this time of year.  It used to be the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but now since Halloween is another spectacular holiday to decorate for, I love everything from the beginning of fall through Christmas.  It's so festive; there is so much to think about and do in terms of activities, cooking, baking, and decorating.  In short, its all around awesome!

And my new love, Pinterest is completely facilitating my love of the holidays by giving me tons of ideas for DIY decorating.  My mantle is always something I look forward to decorating.  It immediately fills the rooms with holiday cheer and is also something my kids can't touch so I can put some pretty delicate things there too.  I usually do mercury glass objects and lighted garland with a few ornaments, but I am inspired this year, who knows what I might end up with!  Some of my inspirations found on Pinterest........





However, I also live in reality.  I don't have much time to be crafty with two little ones running around and honestly, I am not a craft expert.  I can do basic things, sometimes even tricky crafts, but my attention, time, and patience all run out when something gets too time consuming and/or super tricky.  I also get overwhelmed at AC Moore and Michaels - I want to buy so much and get so excited that I can't seem to figure it all out. 

So, this is what I ended up with on my mantle.  I kept the usual mercury glass, candles, and garland, but also a few things below the mantle with little stockings and mittens hung with clothes pins on ribbon.  I wanted to do more, but I was quickly reminded that even an area that I "thought" was kid proofed like the mantle really isn't when the other night I found a sensory ball whizzing at the mantle and quickly breaking an ornament.  I love boys, they very quickly bring you back to reality.  :)

4 comments:

  1. Love this post! Heard my Mom saw you at Whitford- we have to set a date! Emailing you now. xo
    And your mantle looks beautiful - I need a mantle makeover as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was considering just skipping my mantle this year and only doing stocking and Christmas books, but now I feel inspired. If only Pinterest would let me play. It's been 10 days since I sent a request for invitation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love decorating a mantle - especially with a fire burning and stockings hung - love! your mantle is gorgeous - Bob our Elf likes ours alot!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our Elf likes us too - he hides there quite often! I think I love the mantle because it has such impact and I find I keep changing it throughout the year based on my mood. now with pinterest, who knows what it will look like in the coming months!

    ReplyDelete