Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Epic Baking Failure Last Week

I really enjoy baking. I like the whole process from beginning to end, especially the end process when I get to taste what I have created.  Usually it is a yummy creation, something that I have been craving and have truly needed in my diet.

With the fall weather now upon us, I truly needed to make pumpkin bread.  I typically make this recipe about 6-8 times throughout the fall/early winter season without any problems.  So you can imagine my huge disappointment when I realized that my inaugural pumpkin bread was a complete and utter failure.

I forgot one very simple ingredient that is so easy to forget and so unforgiving when you do so.....baking soda.

My pumpkin bread takes about an hour to cook even with the convection setting on the oven.  You can imagine the wonderful smell throughout the house and the anticipation of taking that first bite.  Did I also mention that I was not only making one batch of bread, but two.  One for us at home at devour and the other for the Mom's Tea at my son's preschool the next morning.

At 10:34pm, I pulled the pumpkin bread from the oven and thought it looked a little different to me, but just thought it was because I had not made it in months.  Boy was I wrong!!!  I sliced into it, had a cup of tea ready to drink as I inhaled it, and then it happened.  I realized my epic failure would cost me two loaves of pumpkin bread and much needed sleep as I stayed up late baking a new, correctly made loaf for the Mom's Tea in the morning.


Lesson learned.  Always double check your recipe, especially when baking soda is involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment